Internal Disputes Resolution Procedure (IDRP)

If you have a problem or question about your LGPS membership or benefits, please initially contact us at:

The Pension Section

City and County of Swansea

Civic Centre



Telephone: 01792 636655


We will seek to clarify or put right any misunderstandings or inaccuracies as quickly and efficiently as possible.

If you are still dissatisfied with any decision made in relation to the Scheme you have the right to have your complaint independently reviewed under the Internal Disputes Resolution Procedure.  There are also a number of other regulatory bodies that may be able to assist you.

The various procedures and bodies are detailed below.

Internal Disputes Resolution Procedure

If you need to make a formal complaint, an application form is available from your employer’s human resource section if you are appealing against a decision they have made regarding your pension or from the Pension Section if the decision has been made by them.

First stage

In the first instance you should write to the Adjudicator indicated on the Stage 1 application.  Any complaint must be made within 6 months of receipt of the notification of the decision about which you are complaining.

The  Adjudicator will review your complaint and make a decision on your case.

Second stage

Following this review, if you are still dissatisfied with the decision, you may apply to have it reconsidered by the Stage 2 Adjudicator

This person is appointed by the pension scheme’s Administering Authority and can be contacted at the following address:

Stage 2 IDRP Adjudicator

Legal Services

City and County of  Swansea

Civic Centre



Your application must be made within 6 months of receiving a decision under the first stage of the appeal, or, if you have not had a decision under the first stage within 3 months of making your appeal, you may then immediately appeal under the second stage.

The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS)

If you are having difficulties in sorting out your complaint, you may wish to contact TPAS. TPAS can provide free advice and information to explain your rights and responsibilities.

If you have received a second-stage decision under the Local Government Pension Scheme internal dispute resolution procedure, are not satisfied with that decision, and still think your complaint is well-founded, TPAS may be able to help to resolve your pensions complaint or dispute.

Before asking for TPAS’ help in resolving a dispute, you must have already tried to settle it using the LGPS internal disputes resolution procedure described above.

A TPAS adviser cannot force a pension scheme to take a particular step but, if they think your complaint is justified, they will try to resolve the problem through conciliation and mediation. TPAS would need copies of all relevant documents, including the correspondence about your complaint under the internal complaints procedure and how it was dealt with.

TPAS can be contacted at:

11 Belgrave Road

Telephone helpline: 0845 601 2923


Pensions Ombudsman

In cases where a complaint or dispute cannot be resolved after the intervention of TPAS, an application can be made, within three years of the event, to the Pensions Ombudsman for an adjudication.

The Ombudsman can investigate and determine any complaint or dispute involving maladministration of the Scheme or matters of fact or law and his or her decision is final and binding (unless the case is taken to the appropriate court on a point of law). Matters where legal proceedings have already started cannot be investigated by the Pensions Ombudsman.

The Pensions Ombudsman can be contacted at:

11 Belgrave Road

Telephone: 020 7630 2200


The Pensions Regulator

The Pensions Regulator’s task is to ensure that occupational pension schemes operate within the law. Their role is to investigate and take action where there is carelessness, negligence or dishonesty that could damage the security of occupational pension schemes.  They can be contacted at:

Napier House
Trafalgar Place
East Sussex

Telephone: 0845 600 0707