Children’s pensions are payable, following your death, no matter how long you have been a member of the LGPS.
The amount payable depends on the number of eligible children you have, and is payable in equal shares on behalf of each eligible child. It is based on the pension you would have received had you retired due to ill health on your date of death.
A child is considered eligible if he or she is:
- less than 18 years of age
- has reached the age of 18 but has not reached the age of 23 and is in full time education or undertaking vocational training
- is unable to engage in gainful employment because of physical or mental impairment and either:
- not reached the age of 23; or
- the impairment is considered permanent by an Independent Registered Medical Practitioner and the child was dependent on the member at their date of death due to the physical or mental impairment.
The pension is payable for as long as the child(ren) remain eligible.