If you have recently joined the LGPS and you have previous pension rights, you can transfer these rights into the City and County of Swansea Pension Fund provided you elect to do so within 12 months of joining the Scheme.
If such previous rights were transferred-in and the length of service in respect of benefits in that scheme was two or more years, this would entitle you to pension benefits at your normal retirement age even if you have less than 2 years’ Local Government Pension Scheme membership.
Pension rights can also be transferred into the LGPS from
- a previous employer’s pension scheme; (including another employer who participates in the LGPs or an overseas occupational pension scheme);
- a self-employed pension plan;
- a ‘buy-out’ policy;
- a personal pension plan;
- a stakeholder pension scheme
- an Additional Voluntary Contribution (AVC)* or Free Standing AVC (FSAVC) Plan
An election to transfer must be made within 12 months of entering the City and County of Swansea Pension Fund. A transfer application outside of the 12 month limit may only be permitted at the discretion of your employer and the Pension Fund.
If you should wish to investigate a transfer, please complete and return the Transfer Enquiry Form.
* If you have previously paid in-house AVCs to any LGPS employer in England or Wales you may transfer the arrangement to the in-house AVC arrangement offered by the City and County of Swansea Pension Fund; however you should contact the Pension Section to confirm the implications doing so.